Valentine's Day dedication--this time to my mom.
You know that song from Sid the Science Kid? Well, you should.
After Sid, a weird-looking kid with purple hair (maybe it's blue...I always am doing something else when it's on) goes to school he starts to sing a song.
"I love my mom..uh huh...my mom is cool." And the mom in the background is shaking her hips and agreeing with her kid. Personally, I think the song is super weird. But it describes my feelings for my mom perfectly.
If I could say one thing to my mom, it would be: Mom, you rock.
Some of my favorite memories or things about my Mom.
-She is crafty. It's a rude awakening on nature that my mother had a child like me. My mom can sew really well. Besides making all my baby blankets and crib stuff (with help from sisters a little) she made me clothes growing up that were actually cute, helped me with projects, tweaked immodest outfits to make them more appropriate, etc.
- She is hilarious. She has a fun sense of humor and tried to put humor into our family during hard times or whatever. She could laugh and made lots of jokes at dinnertime where we all moaned, but she is endearing to us. She really is funny :)
-She is a nice mom. She did it all. She came to my school and volunteered, she watched my soccer games, basketball games, orchestra concerts. She came to my church presentations. She was always there.
-One of my favorite memories was coming home from school and hearing: "Hi Becky, how was your day?" Even though I didn't always give her a good answer, I was always glad inside to know she was there, at home, for me. I knew that I, and my brother and sisters, were her top priority.
-Another good memory is my Mom always stayed up waiting for us when we went on dates or went to church dances. Sometimes we got home close to midnight and there she was on the couch waiting for us. And the best part was she would stay up and talk to us about our fun time!! All my siblings remember this about her.
-She is really good at the piano, organ, and singing. My mom taught us all the piano, how to sing, how to lead music, and a few choice children were taught the organ. We all kind of hoped we wouldn't be the ones she picked to learn...:) My mom has been in top singing groups and played piano for lots of events. A few of my siblings are really good singers. All of us are good enough to play piano for church and a few are super good--like Matt.
-She is a hard worker and worked hard for her family. She never worked outside the home, but she worked hard within it. The menial tasks of life she performed faithfully.
-She serves. I watch as she serves me and all of her family and gives of her time so often. She is an awesome mother! I see how she serves those in her ward too.
-I think the thing I like most though is that she loves me and she would play with me and just spend time with us. She listened to me growing up and let me choose--never forcing me to do things. She gave consequences and taught the truth, but she didn't force, and she knew that I would choose right. I am so glad she was not a controlling person.
-She wasn't afraid to do hard things. My parents taught us to do hard things. They did things themselves because they were forced to due to finances, but the principles they taught are still the same and I value those lessons they gave us. They taught us the importance of learning to do some things ourselves...) I have watched my parents (and been forced to help) finish two basements, build a house, build a back deck, run a garden, landscaping, etc. There's probably lots more. The whole point is that I remember them teaching us not to be afraid of hard things and things we don't know how to do. I am still learning myself sometimes :)
-She was faithful in her assignments in the church. I always remember that.
-She would tickle me as a child. In fact, it was downright cruel. I would laugh so hard it hurt. I thought I would never tickle my children, but I have succumbed. Mary and Nath love it though and run through the house asking me to chase them and tickle them.
-We just hung out a lot, talking, laughing, being weird, playing games, watching movies, baking, etc.
-I like it still when my Mom writes me notes.
-I think my Mom is pretty.
-My mom is a pretty darn good basketball player. I know. I have played with her many times in the church gym for family home evenings. Mom, I don't know if those were bonding experiences or "fighting" experiences. I fouled my little sister like crazy just because I "could". It apparently was good for her though as she went on to be on the state-winning basketball team in high school. You're welcome, Heather.
-And Mom, thanks for cleaning up my throw up when I was little. I can't believe how strong your stomach was.
-I love you, Mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment