November 10, 2011
This move hasn't been easy. I felt like we were supposed to come here and we also got pregnant at the beginning of this move with four other kids. We don't have family here like so many others do.
The other day after a particularly difficult time, I talked to Matthew about how things have been hard to move here even when we've tried to do what's right. I wanted to understand and have faith even though sometimes it was really hard.
Matthew told me that he had an example, maybe a bit dramatic, but he reminded me of the pioneers. They moved across from Illinois across all that terrain and weather and hardship to come to Utah. And it wasn't easy.
I know Matthew was just reminding me that sometimes things aren't easy even when we're supposed to do them, but that example was a good one for me.
First, the pioneers moved when there wasn't any cars, when the way was particularly difficult. If today we were told to move, we'd have cars, air conditioners, fast food restaurants, medicines, and we'd get there in only a few days. When we got to Salt Lake, we'd just have to book in a hotel for a while, maybe. But really, they moved when the time to move was very difficult. I wondered at that moment why they moved, or why the Lord had them move to Utah when it was that hard....why didn't he establish Utah when things would have been easier for them?
I don't really know the answer, but it made me think of my own life. Maybe this move isn't the most convenient, maybe there have been some difficult things, and maybe I won't understand, but maybe this is the Lord's way. I want to be faithful like the pioneers. I know it wasn't easy for them, but they had a testimony. That's what I want my life to be like...even when it's not easy to keep going forward, I do BECAUSE of my testimony.
Matthew pointed out all the things their sacrifices did. Salt Lake City was founded, the Church is headquartered there, the temple, and look at everything that came from their sacrifice.
Maybe that is true in our own lives for our own sacrifices.
I am grateful today for the pioneers and all they did. I also feel grateful for my own ancestors and although some were pioneers (My great-great grandmother Caroline Hopkins was...she left England while pregnant, lost her baby on the trail, her four year old at the very end, went through trials, and built up her own homestead, store, and family in a wilderness terrain near Coalsville), some didn't travel across the plains, I am grateful for all the sacrifices they did for me.
2 comments:
It sure helps to put things in perspective, thanks for your thoughts. I needed this today. Love you
Love you sweet thoughts today! It is comforting to think about all our ancestors have done for us. Mostly because it is stuff I can't imagine going through. I don't think it diminishes the fact that life is hard for us now as well. Of course in different ways, but we all struggle. Thankfully we have a loving Father who wants us to be happy along the way. There is never a day that passes where my kids don't make me smile at least a handful of times. They are so much work, but also the most understanding and forgiving. Things are so simple and sweet with them!
Anyway, I hope things go better for ya! Pregnancy is tough! Hopefully you are finished being sick! I am sure you guys will settle in quick. We will be up for several weeks in December, so we will for sure some see you and your cute family!
Post a Comment