I'm not always a natural at being a Mom. In fact, sometimes, it's just plain hard for me. It seems to go against my nature, against my wills, my traits, and even at times, my clean kitchen floor.
But I know it's what I'm supposed to do.
I know that I'm supposed to have these kids, raise them, love them, and teach them.
I don't always love the messy hands that rub on my pants, the teething child that clings to my leg but is not easily consoled, the kid that stole something of mine and is mad I found out, the little girl that is tired and needs a nap, and the tired mommy all combined.
Sometimes I just want a break.
I want a break of sanity.
I realize that God gave me these children, because He loves me, He trusts me, and He can see the whole picture. I can not always see the whole picture. And that is where I strive.
Last week at church I sat there thinking how easy it would be to just soak in everything if my life was different, if I didn't have complete exhaustion, complete draining on every resource I have. If I had an easier way. If I was healthy, with older children, a permanent place where I could put down some roots, so to say, and then I could learn all about that love and patience they talk about in church.
Then the gentle thought that I was learning MORE about love and patience and the gospel through my experiences than I would if my life was like that.
I felt grateful. I did. It was weird :) I prayed a prayer of gratitude that I could learn and have that chance.
But still sometimes I don't always thrive and love the craft projects that pile up with papers and messes and more cleaning. But sometimes I still enjoy it.
I played ball with John today. He LOVES to play ball. He will throw the ball back and forth and giggle. James sometimes wants a turn and we let him, but John has trouble being patient until it's his turn. I enjoyed that. I enjoyed playing with them.
I like teaching Mary letters and sounds because it makes her happy. She really enjoys learning. She gets excited about small things and sometimes those things really are contagious.
I don't really know where this post is going, but I just decided I don't care. I don't have to have a direct purpose today, I can just write and let it be. I can enjoy the parts that made me reflect and feel happy and there doesn't have to be a perfect way to start, fill, or end.
Because it's just a post. About life. About my kids. About me.
I am still discovering who that is. Sometimes I think I know, but I feel that God has greater plans than I have, greater plans every day, so I work on trusting.
I really have the cutest kids in the world. They make me laugh, and they make me feel like pulling on my hair. I remember when I was younger and thought what a good mom I would be and how everything would be. And then it happened. And things were not exactly as I planned. And now I laugh a little. At myself and what I thought.
I realize, however, that the good things really are worth it, it's just different than we expect at times.
I respect my Mom a lot. Being a Mom is not easy, but I keep trying to learn a little more every day.
That is why my theme this year and maybe for my life is
SMALL AND SIMPLE
That is where I think I will find my joy, my purpose, and my strength. I just have to work on it every day.
Good luck with your small and simple things today. Hopefully they bring you joy.
6 comments:
I always love your posts! You are so eloquent and honest about everything! I love that you can capture my same feelings in a much better way than I can. I also love knowing that I am not alone. I don't know why, but it almost feels like support! Like if you can do it, so can I! You always look for the good and end your posts in an uplifting way. I am sure you don't intend to, that is just who you are naturally. One thing I always think of on hard days is that discouragement does not come from our loving Heavenly Father. It comes from another source. We have such an important job as mothers. We can't afford to feel discouraged and believe that our job isn't important. Anyway, thanks for lifting my spirits! You are amazing and I think the world of you!
Well, you seem to be feeling a bit like I was feeling today, except you have expressed it much more eloquently. You are a great mom, you just have A LOT to deal with right now. You are doing beautifully. I think your thoughts are inspiring. And I love your theme!
I felt like I was reading what could have been my own journal entry. You are such a great writer and do very well at identifying and expressing feelings. Congrats on the house sell. I hope you can find a new house soon (and maybe even in the great ward you've been).
Love it. Great motto.
i always enjoy reading your posts! you have a way of saying things and i totally relate, but could not put it into words myself. i really admire you!!
This is a beautiful post Becky. And it did go somewhere, and there was an overall message. You are a beautiful mother.
You are going through the refiner's fire that all mothers with young chidden go through. It really does refine. Sometimes you feel it is making you uglier and weaker because of how hard and exhausting it is.
But then your kids start getting older, and your load becomes a little lighter, and you see finally how much better and stronger, and more patient and wonderful a person you have become through those things.
I don't believe there is a harder time than this (except maybe teenagers...but still, it'll be a different hard) I think physically and mentally it is the most demanding time in our lives. It prepares us to have the capacity to accomplish incredible amounts of things in less time.
I watch my Mom get my kids all bathed, dressed in far less time than it takes me...you really do learn skills that expand in every area of your life.
Keep up the great work! You are doing wonderfully.
Love you lots and thank you for your example.
Post a Comment