April 10, 2012

Eli Matthew Cardwell was born April 4 at 4:34 p.m. weighing 9 lbs 5 oz and measuring 21 1/2 inches long.  I came into the hospital at around 2:15 thinking my water broke, but was measuring a 3 and in labor, even though the nurses said my water hadn't broke.  (which I never figured out when it did...one nurse said she thinks it broke at around 3:30, but I never noticed anything different, but I guess I'll believe her.)  I am glad though that I went in then, in time to get an epidural and get ready to have the baby.  It didn't take long to deliver him, but it was definitely intense at the end.  Matthew helped the doctor deliver him, which we didn't know about until right when I was ready to deliver and the doctor got there and asked Matthew if he would like to participate.  Matthew threw on a gown and the doctor gave him instructions while I was about ready to deliver.  Matthew looked excited, but the doctor repeated the instructions with a lot of them all at once....and then after seeing Matthew's look, he told him he'd repeat them and help him.  So Matthew helped Eli out and cut the cord.

I woke up on Wednesday in the middle of the night with cramps.  I couldn't tell if they were contractions, because they were very localized, but they continued for a while.  Matthew stayed home that morning because I was a little uncomfortable.  The cramps would come and go and I couldn't tell what was going on.  I thought maybe I was in very early labor.  Anyway, I went for a little walk that morning and then in the afternoon soon after Nathan got home from school, I thought my water had broken.  After that time, my cramps definitely intensified and it hurt to move.  Walking into the hospital was too hard and so I got pushed in the wheelchair.  I guess I was in labor all morning--my cervix softening and dilating.  I usually take about an hour to get from a 5 to a 10.  So I am glad I got to the hospital then.  Everything went pretty well and I thought my doctor did a good job and it wasn't crowded and I felt blessed in the process.

Eli went in on Monday for his circumcision.  He kept bleeding, so Matthew had to stay.  Then he kept bleeding, so they gave him medicine to stop his bleeding.  It didn't work, so the doctor sent Eli to the hospital.  At the hospital, they gave him some plasma and did a number of blood tests on him.  I went to visit Eli on Monday.  They kept him overnight and Eli kept bleeding.  Finally, this afternoon sometime Eli stopped bleeding.  However, he is still at the hospital overnight because the doctor wants to watch him.  The doctor did think at first he might have a blood disorder, because his blood wouldn't clot, and the way he was bleeding indicated that could be the case, but after the tests, they don't think so.  One of his tests for clotting problems came back a little abnormal, but the doctor said that he will probably outgrow it and that it could be a low normal.  Anyway, Eli stopped bleeding and should be able to come home tomorrow.  Matthew stayed the night last night and most of the day with him.  I went over around 2 and stayed for a few hours, feeding him and holding him.  I have been a little weak, so I haven't been over there the whole time.  My mom is here this week helping, which has been nice and a blessing.  Matthew plans on staying at the hospital tonight.  We are just glad that he seems like he will be okay.  Matthew has reminded me I better get a good night rest because it is my last.

We will see.

I am grateful for the Lord's blessings and this new little baby in our family.  He is a special spirit and we love him lots.  We named him Matthew after his father, obviously, but I also specially wanted him to be named after my brother, who I have always greatly admired and is possibly the person I most admire in the world, or comes very close to a number of people.  Thanks to all of you for your support :)  We love you.

6 comments:

Marianne said...

Poor little Eli!! I hope he comes home tomorrow and all will be well. Let us know. Prayers with you all.

Katy said...

Oh poor Eli. I hope he gets to come home today! We want to come up and visit sometime soon and see him. Love you guys.

Matt and Jessie said...

I am sorry he is having a rough time! So thankful for hospitals and doctors! Hope he comes home soon! I am sure it is hard to be recovering and getting back and forth to the hospital! Glad your mom is there! Take care and we are sending hugs and prayers your way!!

Christy said...

That is so scary. Poor little guy that is no fun at all. I hope things are better. What do you need?

Erinn said...

oh no!! it's not fun to have a baby admitted to the hospital, I hope he is home now and doing well. keep us updated.

Rob and Marseille said...

i loved reading your birth story! Thanks for sharing! I can't believe you have 3 babies! (the twins sucking their thumbs- haha)