Babies are here

We had the babies.  We are so happy they are here with us! 

August 18 
10:41 a.m. -- James Robert Cardwell was born weighing 6 lbs 4 oz.  He has darker hair than his brother.
10:48 a.m. --John Lane Cardwell was born weighing 6 lbs 12 oz.  He has blond hair.
It was also Nathan's birthday.  Happy Birthday Nathan!  Matthew and I hope he likes it still when he's older.

We had the babies at 37 weeks.  Here's the story if anyone wants to know.   My water broke at 3 in the morning.  We went to the hospital, had a relaxing drive there cause no one else was on the road, and then settled down to have the little guys.  I guess I was having contractions every four minutes, but I didn't feel them.  They put me on pitossin and kept asking if I wanted an epidural.  I still wasn't in pain and didn't even know when I was having contractions, but finally I said yes.  (One--because I didn't want to all of the sudden be in pain and not get an epidural and Two--because just to be extra safe in case I needed one in the operating room with twins).
They checked me at 9 or so and I was at a 5.  I told them that usually I changed really fast at the end, but I'm not sure the nurse was listening.  Anyway at 10:00 I started to feel like I really needed to push.  I waited five more minutes, sure the nurse was going to come in and finally I called her to come check me.  She came in, not stressed, checked me, and her eyes got big!  I was at a 9 1'2 or 10.  So, the nurses had a scramble.  They called the C-section room (cause all twins are delivered in there whether or not you have to have one) and it wasn't ready.  My doctor hadn't been called.  So my nurse was getting stressed.  Anyway, to make it shorter, the C-section room got ready, they wheeled me in there, bumping into walls on the way cause they were trying to hurry, and when they got in there I could tell they were stressed.  I was hoping my baby was not coming out!  Anyway, I tried to remain calm and felt like everything would be okay.  Finally my doctor walked in and I started pushing right away.  It took about two contractions worth of pushes and James came out.  Then they took him away after I got a brief look and they were doing an ultrasound on my tummy and they realized they needed to help the second one down because there's a lot more room in there after the first one is out.
       They used a suction to help guide the second one down and then I started pushing.  It only took a few pushes and he came out as well.  I felt him more because he was bigger and he came out with his sack of water too.  Then my placentas came out and I was done.
       The babies were perfect!  I got to hold them after a few minutes and they wheeled us back to my room.  The labor and delivery were actually easier than my other two, but I was much weaker after this delivery than my other ones.  But I am sure my strength will return with time.  They thought I might need some extra blood, but they didn't give me any, just an extra IV.  I passed out sitting up on the bed, so they took the babies away and made me rest.  The doctor made me stay an extra day at the hospital. Being at home, I feel better than ever in other ways, just more light headed.  Walking up the stairs about does me in!!  I am so happy to have the boys!!  I feel so blessed and I have really been happy to have them. 
     We got a taste of what it's going to be like though last night!   I sat on the bed and did the feeding and wrapping and burping, while Matthew changed diapers, and more diapers, and extra diapers, and got things, and helped with the feeding and burping.  I am not sure how we are going to keep this up, but I have faith it will work out.  My mom is coming this next week and even though she's not too keen on the nighttime stuff, it's just not possible for one person to do it by themselves I realized.  Hopefully the babies will sleep longer soon!! 
      I am so grateful for the help and for my cute little boys!!!  They are both different and have been a joy.  James is my faster eater and stays awake longer while John likes to sleep more and eat slow.  Some people say John looks more like my side of the family and James like Matthew's, but we've heard how each of them look like everyone in our family.
     I will eventually post pictures on here, but I have to have Matthew's help doing that with our new camera and computer.  For now, we are just going to learn how to survive, but we are excited for this adventure and opportunity in our lives!

10 comments:

Katie Parent said...

Double congratulations! That is so wonderful! I am so excited for you and your family Becky.

Red Head Family said...

Glad things went smooth-take it as easy as you can. Mom will just have to now that it;s short term right!! Wish you were closer so we could help-good luck!!

Christy said...

I am so glad your delivery seemed so good. I am glad the nurses were stressing and not you. I hope your recovery time is quick and you will be feeling a lot better.

Marianne said...

I'm glad the delivery went so well! I'm sending prayers your way. Give the babies a hug for me til I get to see them. :)

Lacie Pearson said...

Congrats Becky and Matthew! So glad that you didn't have to have a c-section! Great work! Hope all is well, I am sure the Lord is watching over you and your sweet little family!

Ryan and Heather said...

Oh Becky! Yea! I bet they are adorable! So happy for you and your family!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations! How aweomse that you had twins without a c-section, what a blessing. They sure are cute! I hope you feel good soon.

Matt and Jessie said...

So great! I am so glad that your babies arrived safely! I saw your pictures on facebook. I hope that you guys survive all the feedings and diaper changes. I am barely keeping up with one, so I can't imagine 2! I had a similar situation after Kennedy was born too. I lost too much blood, so the recovery has been much slower than I had hoped. I hope you get feeling better soon!! Have a fun time with your mom and enjoy those little guys!!!!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

I am so happy for you!! That is amazing that your delivery went so well!! Congratulations. And I love the names you chose for them!!

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

ps- Jeremy says it's too bad Nathan wasn't named Peter. Then you would have sons named Peter, James and John! And born in that exact order! Haha.