Letters to my kids

January 3, 2012

I felt like writing letters to the kids about how I felt about them now.  I will probably read these letters to them later, how far in the future I don't know.
I don't mind sharing them at this point.


Letter to John
     John, I wanted to write you a letter and tell you about how you are at this age, but more specifically, how much I love you.
John, you have a very cute smile, a sneaky smile, a shy smile, when you know someone is watching you or smiling at you.  It is so adorable.  Your mouth goes big, into an O shape and then you look away.  You are a beautiful baby, with your blond hair and blue eyes.  You have a special spirit.  I can feel it.  When you cuddle with me, I feel so happy.  You will come sit on my lap a lot of times when I am on the floor.  Sometimes you bring a book with you, at times, or you just come sit with me.  You jabber, pretend to read books to yourself, pretend to talk on the phone, and you like balls a lot.  To throw at people.  You like to play catch.  Sometimes you come really close to someone and then throw the ball in their face.  You seem delighted by balls, by being on the couch, and being outside.  You get into a lot of things, which you are so cute and determined and know what you’d like to do.
I love you very much.  I am glad you are my son.

Letter to James
            James, I wanted to write you a letter and tell you how you are at this age, and how I love you.
James, you make me happy.  You smile at me, give me hugs on my back a lot and talk and giggle with me.  You walk away when you are sensitive about something without really crying, but we all know when you are a little upset because you just leave for a minute and sometimes your face will slowly start to change.  You love books, toys, and putting things inside of each other, like the bread pans that fit in each other.  You like snacks a lot, just like your brother.  You don’t like bread very much if it’s just plain bread.  Nathan and Mary love to make you and John laugh.  Sometimes Mary will give you the end of her blanket and then she will lead you around the room and you laugh and she enjoys doing it.  Nathan and Mary love you too and Nathan asks to see you and John every morning, just about, before he goes to school on the bus.  He always asks if he can “talk to the babies.”  You are intelligent and are learning a lot.  I love your smile.  You are a wonderful little boy and we both love you a lot.  Thanks for being my son.

Letter to Mary
            Mary, I wanted to write you a letter and tell you how you are at this age, and how I love you.
Mary, you are a sweetheart.  You are a beautiful little girl and when I stare at you, with your pretty eyes and face and hair and your smile, you are just adorable.  I love having you at home.  You are a helper.  You try to make me happy, and the babies happy.  You clean your room and keep it organized and don’t like when anyone messes it up.  You make your bed without me asking sometimes and sometimes help with other people’s bed, you and Nathan both do that.  You like to color and draw me pictures and other people pictures.  You love watching shows on TV.  You love hello kitty and princesses and pink and girly things.  You like to dance and will dance almost every time I sit at the piano to play or when I exercise.  You and Nathan play a lot together.  You love Macaroni and Cheese, Cheesy bread, and spaghetti.  You like to go swimming when you can and love to read books.  You have started to learn how to sound out things and I didn’t spend a lot of time teaching.  You kind of learned on your own, probably watching TV shows and watching Nathan do his homework.  You are pretty obedient and don’t give me a hard time very much when I ask you to do things.  For the most part, you listen very well.  I have liked having you home with me before you go to school next year.  I always want you to be happy and enjoy having you be my little girl.  I cherish you.
I hope you are always happy and know that I love you.
Love,
Mommy

Letter to Nathan
            Nathan, I just wanted to write you a letter and tell you how you are and things you are doing and that I love you.
Nathan, you are a good boy.  I can tell that you want to do what’s right and be good.  You always say that you are going to be good and not make any mistakes that day.  I try to tell you it’s okay if you make a mistake, that it doesn’t mean you’re bad, but I can tell that you are just wanting to be good and that’s what you’re telling me.  You love to do legos that you get for presents.  You and dad spend time building them together.  You play with Mary a lot and you love making the babies laugh.  Sometimes I tell you to be quieter with them, but I know you are just trying to make them laugh and it makes me happy that you love them and enjoy doing that.  You do really well in school and read well.  You like books and love to check out books on dinosaurs and bugs.  Sometimes I try to make you put back some of your “spider” books but then once you told me I just don’t have to look at it. (politely)
You are a smart boy, but not just in school.  You are smarter than I think you know.  You know how to pick up on cues, how people are feeling, and you realize and are aware of the things you should or shouldn’t be doing, or what you think those things are.  You just started piano lessons and you were excited about it and asked me to teach you.  It’s about the time we probably would have started anyway.  You love playing with and seeing and going to your cousins’ houses.  People seem to like you wherever you go.  You are creative and have a great imagination.  I love the pictures and stories you come up with.
You are going to be great at what you do and I am excited for you.  I love you tons, Nathan.  I want you to know that I am so proud of you.
Love,
Mommy

2 comments:

Marianne said...

This is a wonderful idea. Something I'm sure your kids will cherish.

Katie Parent said...

You have pretty special kids. And they have a special mom.