Another week of memories

June 13, 2012

On Monday night just down the street, people in the ward were getting together for some ice cream.  It was leftover icecream from a ward activity on Saturday--the ice cream social on Saturday evening was outside in the ward pavilion area.  It was windy and cold and a little rainy.  It's June, but it's Idaho.  Well, we weirdos in our family went and actually walked.  There was hardly anyone there, so they were just spreading word out to gather together to get the leftovers.  Luckily, the twins were in bed, so Matthew, Nathan, Mary, Eli, and I went down.  We could see our house and it was really close and we locked the doors and the twins can't get out of their beds and they were asleep.  Anyway, it was nice to not be chasing kids and actually talk to people!

So I sat down in a group of ladies and someone asked me:  How are you adjusting to the new baby?  How is it?

I answered:  Well, today, I did not stop moving for five hours until I had a break.  It was completely true!  Not even ten minutes of a sit down internet break, breathing break, etc.  I was so busy, and many days are like that.  I usually do all the cleaning during the week because Matthew comes home late around 6:30 each night and that is when we have dinner and it is so busy then, so I clean like a crazy lady.  Sometimes I am breathing hard from moving so much.  I go from one diaper, to the next, from dishes, to laundry, to stopping a fight, to helping someone with a snack or drink, to picking up another mess, to chasing a twin, to holding a crying baby, to feeding Eli, over and over.  Usually, I feed Eli in the morning, clean trays, do breakfast, do dishes, do trash, counters, get twins down, clean up, diapers, clothes, chasing...and then when that is over, Eli is up again!  It goes on and on.

But the whole point of that, it was long, was that I was not trying or had any intention of complaining to that lady.  But it was true.  I worked from 7:40 to 12:40 before any kind of a break at all.  That is when the twins went down for a nap, and Eli was a sleep for just a moment.  It was nice to sit down.

My life has just changed.  It isn't bad, or anything, but I have to work hard and all the time.  If I have free time, I don't let things pile up as much because there is too much to do and it gets too crazy.

On Friday and Saturdays we work almost all day long both days.  But last Saturday I told Matthew we were dumping that idea and we took the kids to a pizza place in town that has a play place as a surprise.  They loved it and it was fun.  Then we tried to go to the river, but it was really windy, so we were only outside for a few minutes, with a few of the kids in the car with Matthew anyway.

After that question at the icecream social, I was talking to someone who has one little boy and works.  I asked her some questions to get to know her.  She was telling me that her life wasn't half as busy as mine.  I told her that any mom is busy.  One kid is busy.

I now realize how stay at home moms use their talents and are as busy and work as hard, or harder than other women at other jobs most of the time, I believe.  I have to plan better than I have ever had to.  I have to in the mornings, plan ahead so I can figure out how to take care of everyone at the same time.  I plan when I will make the bottle, feed Eli, put the twins up and get them down, change diapers, do dishes, etc.  I plan ahead.  That is how we survive.  Because every morning almost all five kids need things at the same time!  Sometimes I enlist Mary and Nathan to get milk out of the fridge for me or put bibs on the twins, or watch Eli for a moment for safety measures from his brothers.

I have to be efficient, effective, creative, and work hard to be a Mom.  And I keep learning.  I think we are all in this together.  It's hard for everyone who is a Mom, we just need to be as supportive to each other as we can.

We know what it's like to have a really hard time with certain kids with listening.  We know what it's like to be exhausted.  We know what it's like to not know how to pay for things.  We know what it's like to not go on dates for a long time (let's not say how long) and feel the need to get out and have a break.  I think all parents feel those things to some degree and some time.

I have good sisters and sister-in-laws and brother and parents and in-laws who are kind to us.  Hopefully they know we think they are all wonderful.  And I am impressed with so many of them.  Except for....(I AM kidding :)

Today--
James locked himself in his room.  Just yesterday he was reaching for the lock like he was interested in it.  I told Matthew last night that we might need to do something about it.  He can't unlock the door or reach to turn it all the way yet so I unlocked it with a hanger.

And John figured out that using Nathan's nerf swords to turn on the water dispenser in the fridge is cool.  Water was squirting onto the floor.  I took away the sword.  He got it back and did it again.  I put the sword up high and John ran and got the other sword and did it.  Both swords were up high. 

Wow.  But I feel so blessed!  Heavenly Father does answer prayers.  I have the health to watch the kids right now!  We have the financial means to take care of our family right now!  People in the ward have been so kind to us and reached out to us.  I have never felt like a burden or that I had to beg or ask for help--people were there helping before I had to ask.  Sometimes you have to ask, but during this crazy time, what a blessing (and I believe many were following the Spirit at certain times) to come to us!  It helped us feel wanted and loved and testified to me of what I believe the Savior's love is really like.  I hope someday to return the favor to someone else who is in need.  Because sometimes we all need lifting and love in some way at some time.  Most of the time, people in the ward just came to me and asked what they could do and told us they were there and it was genuine and warm and without any reproof.  Fabulous.  fabulous.  There have also been some great friends from across town who have offered help and meant it.  We love all of them and appreciate every offer so very much. :)  So thanks all of you! (if any one of them is reading...:)

I am not writing for any specific purpose, but I wanted to write since I had a break right now!

P.S.  I am going to take a shower because the three little boys are sleeping and Mary and Nathan are watching a movie.  Take one quick Beck!

I would love to have visitors because getting out of the house with all the kids is kind of crazy.  I can't go on walks with all the kids either because three of them need a stroller and I do not have a three-kid stroller.  I could possibly put Eli on me in a baby backpack thing and push the other two, but that does not sound fun.  So here we stay.  It's okay that I can't go on walks, I am grateful for the things I can do and that we have things like a backyard to send the kids in :)  But if you are really bored, let me know and just come over and play in our back yard and visit with me :)

2 comments:

JEREMY AND SARAHLYNN said...

You ARE busy! You're amazing Becky!
Hey, to help with the door locking problem, unscrew your door knobs and switch the knobs so that the lock is on the side of the door that faces the hallway. That way you can only lock the door from the hallway, and kids will never get locked in their room (unless YOU lock them in!) One of my friends did that to keep her kids from getting out of their room at night, haha. But it can help with them locking themselves in the room, too!

Erinn said...

oh becky! i just love you. i love your posts because you are so real. motherhood is darn hard work, i am always reminding myself that the best things in life are hard but the most worth it! i agree with you that as mothers we should just support each other and know that everyone is doing the best they can with such a hard job!

and give me a few week and i'm hitting you up to watch your kids one night while you and matthew go out. plan on me coming to you. ;) my husband works late most friday nights so i can bring my kids and they'll all have a blast... and i promise you won't even come home to a mess. yep it's settled and there is no getting out of it!

love ya friend.