9 years

9 years ago today Matthew proposed to me.  I told the kids this as we sat at dinner.  Mary asked:  At dinner?  I told her that no, he didn't propose to me over dinner.  Then Nathan said:  Why?  Matthew explained that you have to ask someone to marry you first before you get married.

A few weeks later Matthew gave me the ring we picked out.  But he didn't tell me he was planning to.  He came to meet me at the BYU library where we were studying.  He was in his Men's Chorus Suit and looked in his backpack.
"I can't find my paper.  I must have left it at class.  Becky, do you want to come with me to go get it?"
 I politely declined.  I was studying.  Finals were coming up.  Then his face fell, literally.  I felt bad.  "Okay,"  I said.
We walked to the JKHB and went to his class (I think that is where we went first, I am pretty sure).  He couldn't find the paper.  He reminded me that this is where we first met, in class in this building.  I nodded.  It was very true.

Then we walked past the quad where he mentioned that is where he got my phone number.  Then we walked back to the library and he said "Why don't we go study somewhere else?"

I have to admit, I just wanted to study.  I needed to pass my classes!  Although I didn't know why he wanted to move, I followed him down to the bottom floor of the library and into a study room.  He said:  Do you remember this is where we had our first study date?  I did!  I realized he must have planned this whole thing out and then he looked at my hand.  I had on a CTR (Choose the Right) ring on my middle finger.  It was our "pretend engagement" ring until we got a real one.

"Why isn't this on your ring finger?"  Matthew asked.  I explained that it fell off of my ring finger, and he took it off to remove it.  Somehow we kissed and while we kissed, he slipped on my REAL diamond ring onto my ring finger so when I opened my eyes, the ring was on my finger!

I pretty much was in shock.  I couldn't stop looking at that shiny thing and I kissed him again.  I was happy.

So the whole thing was planned, taking us past all our memory places and into that study room, which he had reserved to give me my ring.  It was special.

2 comments:

Rob and Marseille said...

that is such a cute engagement story!

Katie Parent said...

that is very sweet