Interesting Facts About Twins

So, I've been looking up facts about twins lately on the internet. I never thought I'd have twins, so I wanted to know the chances. Here's from one site: mommiesmagazine in February 2007.

So the stats on us, if you're interested is that we are having fraternal twins or dizygotic and they were conceived naturally. Trust me.

- "The more children a woman has, the more likely she is to conceive twins." (for anybody)

-"If a woman has already given birth to dizygotic twins, she has a 4 times higher chance of conceiving another set of twins—one in 3,000 births." (Dizygotic twins are fraternal twins)

-"Approximately 70 percent of all twins result from fertility treatments." (Usually fraternal twins from the drugs or invitro.)

-"Taller women conceive twins more often than shorter women."

-"Women between the ages of 35 and 39 are more likely to conceive twins."

-"African-Americans are more likely to conceive twins than Caucasians. Asians are less likely to conceive twins."

-"According to Hellin’s Rule, formulated in 1895, spontaneous (naturally conceived) twins occur once in every 89 births."

-"In 2001, 3.1 percent of all U.S. births were twins. The rate was roughly half in Europe. In the United States, one in 50 people is a dizygotic (fraternal) twin. One in 150 is a monozygotic (identical) twin."

Also--identical twins can happen to anybody. It is not genetic. Fraternal twins usually are genetic from the maternal line. (I didn't really know that we had it in our history much, but we do--way back there)

Just thought it was interesting. It was something I wouldn't have looked up normally.

3 comments:

Matt and Jessie said...

Wow! Interesting stuff! I am still shocked about your twinners! I am excited that you already found out one is a boy! I just think you are going to do great with everything. Are you feeling okay these days? I hope so!!

Callister said...

I like your posts. They're thoughtful and interesting. Miss you.

Larsen said...

Those are some interesting things to know!