Why can't we have normal days, normal holidays at our house?
That is a good question. But it was a great day.
The Easter Bunny came and the kids were overjoyed with the candy and finding eggs.
But--the Easter Bunny made a mistake--the kids got gum. The kids were warned that their gum would disappear if gum was found anywhere in the house besides the trash can.
James, John, and I had colds. John had a fever, his eye was half swollen shut with pus, as it was for a few days. John wasn't feeling good and acted accordingly.
Poor Mary. Mary had somehow sprained her foot/ankle the night before and it was slightly swollen on Saturday night. On Sunday there was no swelling, but she still hurt walking a little bit. (It is better now...we kept checking it and she has been fine) Then after eating Easter candy she broke out in hives over her whole body. They welted up and itched a lot. She had also been coughing a lot the last week from her cold.
Side note: On Monday she cut her hair with scissors. I haven't fixed it yet, and I am not sure how to fix it :)
I stayed home with the sick babies and hive-covered Mary and Matthew and Nathan went to the first two hours of church. I switched with Matthew and went to Sacrament meeting with Nathan. Nathan sang in primary, was super cute, and smiled shyly every time he saw me smiling at him while he was on the stand.
I came home and Matthew went to do tithing. The next forty minutes seemed like hours. The babies had to be fed a solid, and bottles, diapers changed, Nathan kept following me around to get a car out of his other car that was stuck, and Mary wasn't feeling good, and then I stepped in gum on the carpet. Afterwards, we found gum on the floor, table, and in the kid's room. Needless to say, their gum was confiscated. Matthew said they can't have gum for a year, which would be a good thing. We think the main culprit was Mary. When I said: "Kids, why is there gum in the carpet?" Mary said: "Mom, remember that before you went to church you said if I wanted I could stick my gum in the carpet, remember that Mommy?"
I didn't remember that.
Matthew came home to a crazy house at almost 5 pm and we had to figure out dinner. We had planned to go to my sister's house for dinner and so we hadn't planned out the whole meal. We made instant mashed potatoes with cheese sprinkled on top, canned green beans, a salad (which my sister dropped off), ham drippings (we sent up part of the ham to my sisters and realized we had basically sent the whole thing up), and a few dessert pieces. It was a nice dinner, all things considered. The only sad part was when Nathan actually ate all his ham and wanted more and there was none left to give him.
Matthew spent most of the evening googling "gum out of carpet" and working the gum out and then he fell asleep on the bed for an hour that evening.
That evening after the kids went to bed, Matthew and I spent some quality time together cleaning the house for half an hour before resting on the couch and talking.
It was a crazy day, but memorable and I was just grateful to be spending it with family. I loved that I felt well too. I am grateful to the Savior and the blessings we all can have from the first Easter morning, when Christ was resurrected.
I hope you all had a great Easter too, minus gum in your carpet.
3 comments:
Oh my, what a day you had! I hope you have recovered from it. And at least you didn't have to get gum out of the babies' hair...
Sounds like and unforgetable day! I am glad that you all survived. Hope everyone is feeling better by now and that all the gum came out of the carpet!!!
yikes! I think you need to post a pic of mary's hair & we can give you ideas.
Post a Comment