My laugh of the day

Nathan asked what cows eat--something like that. We said grass. After that he asked what snakes eat.

Mary piped up: Snakes eat nuts!

Matthew and I looked at each other (we were driving) and weren't sure how to respond to that delightful shout of knowledge.

Matthew: Snakes eat things like bugs.

Me: And mice.

Mary: NO, they eat NUTS! I saw it. One time I saw a snake eat a nut!

Apparently snakes eat nuts. We couldn't argue with that statement, especially since she was so sure about it.

A day or so ago, Mary came to me early in the morning. I was still asleep in bed. I was awakened to a quiet whisper that said:

Mary: Mommy, I peed.

Me: Oh no, where? (Mary sleeps in underwear)

Mary: (still whispering and still very cute) In my room.

I rolled out of bed and tried not to grumble to how I was being woken up. I went to Mary's room. There was a big wet spot in front of her dresser on the floor. I tried not to scream out of sheer annoyance. I didn't, but I felt like it. Mary had peed three days in a row previously in the morning for different reasons and I had spent a lot of time cleaning it all up. I knelt down and started scrubbing it out.

Me: Mary, we pee in the potty. Right when you wake up you go to the potty okay? Can you do that next time?

Mary nods her head. I scrub the floor and sigh, kind of like a whining sound. I'm about to lecture Mary even more about peeing when she comes over and hugs my neck, her little arms tightening around my head.

Mary: I love you mommy.

I sigh. I can't lecture anymore. Fine, pee all you want cutie, but just do it when daddy is home.

2 comments:

Blovelies said...

Mary, Mary, Mary. I think that cutie could get away with almost anything. Especially with that cute little face and voice.

cardwellclan said...

Okay, I found out why Mary thinks snakes eat nuts. She saw it in the jungle book movie.